- heroes are the people who do what has to be done when it needs to be done, regardless of the consequences;
- sometimes the people you expect to kick you when you’re down will be the ones to help you get back up;
- sometimes when I’m angry I have the right to be angry, but that doesn’t give me the right to be cruel;
- you should never tell a child their dreams are unlikely or outlandish; few things are more humiliating, and what a tragedy it would be if they believed it;
- our background and circumstances may have influenced who we are, but we are responsible for who we become;
- we don’t have to change friends if we understand that friends change; and
- true friendship continues to grow, even over the longest distance, [as does love].